Every year around this time the state’s GOP party’s get together to decide what their platform is going to be going forward. Most years the state party’s choose similar items suggested by the nation party platform, CPAC, and other movers and shakers like the Koch brothers and other high dollar donors.
This year though, the Texas GOP dropped the politically correct veil and went all MAGA crazy town when putting their platform together. The 53 page document covers just about every far right item from teaching kids in public school that life begins at conception, to claiming that Biden is illegitimately in office, to prohibiting the teaching of sex education and sexual health at any age and restricting the distribution of condoms and contraception through public schools.
Even more disturbing is the GOP’s attack on LGBT rights outright stating that homosexuality is “an abnormal lifestyle choice” and opposing same sex marriage and repealing the Obergefell v. Hodges Supreme Court decision.
And if you thought other minorities were safe, they also want to overturn the 1965 Voting Rights Act which made it easier for minorities to vote by outlawing the burden of literacy tests, poll taxes, and intimidation at voting centers, etc.
- Requiring Texas students “to learn about the humanity of the preborn child,” including teaching that life begins at fertilization and requiring students to listen to live ultrasounds of gestating fetuses.
- Amending the Texas Constitution to remove the Legislature’s power “to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.”
- Deeming gender identity disorder “a genuine and extremely rare mental health condition,” requiring official documents to adhere to “biological gender,” and allowing civil penalties and monetary compensation to “de-transitioners” who have received gender-affirming surgery, which the platform calls a form of medical malpractice.
- Changing the U.S. Constitution to cement the number of Supreme Court justices at nine and repeal the 16th Amendment of 1913, which created the federal income tax.
- Ensuring “freedom to travel” by opposing Biden’s Clean Energy Plan and “California-style, anti-driver policies,” including efforts to turn traffic lanes over for use by pedestrians, cyclists and mass transit.
- Declaring “all businesses and jobs as essential and a fundamental right,” a response to COVID-19 mandates by Texas cities that required customers to wear masks and limited business hours.
- Abolishing the Federal Reserve, the nation’s central bank, and guaranteeing the right to use alternatives to cash, including cryptocurrencies.
Like other years were states often adopt many similar plank items, it will be interesting to see if other states adopt any of these far right ideals essentially throwing us back a 100 years though they did agree on one possibly good platform item. They plan to urge lawmakers to put a referendum on the 2023 general election ballot to allow Texas to vote to secede from the US.
We can all hope.