The Supreme Court had an eventful week. First they overturned a New York law that made gun owners justify why they should be given a concealed carry permit with the majority saying it was unconstitutional. Then this morning the same Conservative majority decided that the 50 year old Roe V. Wade Supreme Court decision was not a Constitutional issue and that it should be up to individual states to decide.
These decisions make it obvious at least to me that a 233 year document written by wooden teeth wearing slave owners with wigs whose most dangerous weapon was a single shot flint lock rifle hurling round balls at you is hardly something to base your modern societies laws on. In fact our founding fathers thought the same thing when they wrote into that document a procedure to update it, something that has been done 33 times.
Admit it or not, the Supreme Court has become a legislative body interpreting issues that they somehow twist and turn into fitting some obscure writing usually with a partisan bend setting precedents on issues that our founders could have never considered and we are left with the results.
The problems in our society today can not longer be solved referring back to a piece of paper so old that it cannot be handled without falling apart.
Since it is obvious that a rewrite will never happen it is time for us to start taking our political system more seriously. The fringes of our society have shown more energy and willingness to put people like Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders, Andrea Ocasio Cortez, Majorie Taylor Greene, and Lauren Boebert into office not only making us a laughing stock but also giving the lunatic fringe a voice.
Democrats and others upset at Roe V Wade being overturned should first look at their legislators. Constitutionality aside, the pro-choice supporters had 50 years to codify Roe which would have made this court decision moot. That did not happen and a new plan now needs to be formulated.
To prevent this in the future we need to recruit and find honorable, intelligent people willing to work with everyone to legislate our future. People willing to put the country ahead of their party and who are willing to listen to their constituents and stop listening to those that have the most money. This needs to happen at the local, state and national level and needs to start now!
If it doesn’t happen you need look no farther than in the mirror.
Every year around this time the state’s GOP party’s get together to decide what their platform is going to be going forward. Most years the state party’s choose similar items suggested by the nation party platform, CPAC, and other movers and shakers like the Koch brothers and other high dollar donors.
This year though, the Texas GOP dropped the politically correct veil and went all MAGA crazy town when putting their platform together. The 53 page document covers just about every far right item from teaching kids in public school that life begins at conception, to claiming that Biden is illegitimately in office, to prohibiting the teaching of sex education and sexual health at any age and restricting the distribution of condoms and contraception through public schools.
Even more disturbing is the GOP’s attack on LGBT rights outright stating that homosexuality is “an abnormal lifestyle choice” and opposing same sex marriage and repealing the Obergefell v. Hodges Supreme Court decision.
And if you thought other minorities were safe, they also want to overturn the 1965 Voting Rights Act which made it easier for minorities to vote by outlawing the burden of literacy tests, poll taxes, and intimidation at voting centers, etc.
More goodies from their vote on Saturday:
- Requiring Texas students “to learn about the humanity of the preborn child,” including teaching that life begins at fertilization and requiring students to listen to live ultrasounds of gestating fetuses.
- Amending the Texas Constitution to remove the Legislature’s power “to regulate the wearing of arms, with a view to prevent crime.”
- Deeming gender identity disorder “a genuine and extremely rare mental health condition,” requiring official documents to adhere to “biological gender,” and allowing civil penalties and monetary compensation to “de-transitioners” who have received gender-affirming surgery, which the platform calls a form of medical malpractice.
- Changing the U.S. Constitution to cement the number of Supreme Court justices at nine and repeal the 16th Amendment of 1913, which created the federal income tax.
- Ensuring “freedom to travel” by opposing Biden’s Clean Energy Plan and “California-style, anti-driver policies,” including efforts to turn traffic lanes over for use by pedestrians, cyclists and mass transit.
- Declaring “all businesses and jobs as essential and a fundamental right,” a response to COVID-19 mandates by Texas cities that required customers to wear masks and limited business hours.
- Abolishing the Federal Reserve, the nation’s central bank, and guaranteeing the right to use alternatives to cash, including cryptocurrencies.
Like other years were states often adopt many similar plank items, it will be interesting to see if other states adopt any of these far right ideals essentially throwing us back a 100 years though they did agree on one possibly good platform item. They plan to urge lawmakers to put a referendum on the 2023 general election ballot to allow Texas to vote to secede from the US.
We can all hope.
Wisconsin’s own Ron Johnson is a favorite interview for both the left and the right. The right gets their talking points regurgitated without fail and the left gets stupid personified. One of Johnson’s latest interviews was with a reporter from CNN who asked him his thoughts on waiting periods for gun sales for individuals under 21.
So how did Ron Johnson respond? Well it certainly didn’t have anything to do with waiting periods!
“My main point on any kind of gun control is, let’s enforce the laws that we have. And let’s do it within a justice system that applies the laws equally. Maybe we should start with what Hunter Biden did in terms of his own background checks.“
Maybe a new drinking game where one drinks each time Johnson mentions Hunter Biden?